Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Vocabulary log

1) Weather, noun, The state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards temperature, wind, rain, etc.
a. The weather in the UAE is cloudy.

2) System, noun, a system of canals:
structure, organization, arrangement, complex, network; informal set-up.
a. The best system for our computer is Microsoft Windows Vista.

3) View, verb, The ability to see something or to be seen from a particular place.
a. My brother invited me to view the result of the match.

4) University, noun, a high-level educational institution in which students study for degrees and academic research is done.
a. My brother studied in the University of the Emirates.

5) Religious, adjective, believing strongly in your religion and obeying its rules carefully.
a. My father is a very religious person.

6) Independent, adjective, an organization is not owned or controlled by, or does not receive money from, another organization or the government.
a. There are a lot of independent lessons in the college

7) Kindergarten, noun, a school for children aged two to five.
a. My kindergarten was in Sharjah.

8) Manner, noun, the way in which something is done or happens.
a. I like the manner in which she works.

9) Furthermore, adverb, in addition to what has already been said.
a. Furthermore, I will pass the exam.

10) Eliminate, verb, to completely get rid of something that is unnecessary or unwanted.
a. I eliminated a thief from our house.

11) Responsibility, noun, a duty to be in charge of someone or something, so that you make decisions and can be blamed if something bad happens.
a. Safety is everyone's responsibility.

12) Capable, adjective, having the qualities or ability needed to do something.
a. I’m capable of work and study.

13) Convenient, adjective, useful to you because it saves you time, or does not spoil your plans or cause you problems.
a. My laptop is convenient.

14) Luxury, noun, very great comfort and pleasure, such as you get from expensive food, beautiful houses, cars etc.
a. I want a luxury car

15) Government, noun, the group of people who govern a country or state.
a. The system of Abu Dhabi Government is very successful.

16) Beneficial, adjective, having a good effect.
a. Doing exercise are beneficial to your health.

17) Respect, noun, when you admire someone, especially because of their personal qualities, knowledge, or skills.
a. I respect all people.

18) Appearance, noun, the way someone or something looks to other people.
a. His appearance was beautiful.

19) Audience, noun, a group of people who come to watch and listen to someone speaking or performing in public.
a. The audiences were huge.

20) Colleagues, noun, someone you work with, used especially by professional people.
a. I like all my colleagues.

21) Otherwise, adverb, used when saying what bad thing will happen if something is not done.
a. Go early otherwise you will be marked absent.

22) Knowledge, noun, the information, skills, and understanding that you have gained through learning or experience.
a. The knowledge is very important for all people.

23) Disappointment, noun, a feeling of unhappiness because something is not as good as you expected, or has not happened in the way you hoped.
a. Failing in the exam causes disappointment for us .

24) Foreigner, noun, someone who comes from a different country.
a. There are few foreigners in the Oman.

25) Century, noun, one of the 100-year periods measured from before or after the year of Christ's birth.
a. The world will develop in the 22nd century.

26) Disease (noun): an illness which affects a person, animal, or plant.
a. There are many diseases like H1N1.

27) Attract, verb, draw or bring in by offering something of interest or advantage.
a. To attract lady, you have to be respectable.

28) Available, adjective, accessible, usable, handy, buyable.
a. There are many laptops available in the U.A.E.

29) Beautiful, adjective, lovely, pretty, gorgeous, attractive, fine.
a. She is a beautiful girl.

30) Because, conjunction, for the reason that; due to the fact that.
a. He went to Sharjah because his grandfather was sick.

31) Before, preposition, previous to; earlier or sooner than, ahead of; in the future of; awaiting.
a. I will go to Dubai before dinner.

32) Believe, verb, to think that something is true;to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so.
a. I didn't believe her story.

33) Define, verb, state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of. ▶give the meaning of (a word or phrase).
a. My computer can define and solve all errors.

34) Identify, establish the identity of, recognize or select by analysis.
a. When I started in a new class, my teacher asked me for my
identity card.

35) Create, verb, bring into existence, invest (someone) with a title of nobility.
a. I will create my business when I finish college.

36) Economy, noun, the state of a country or area in terms of the production and consumption of goods and services and the supply of money.
a. Our country has a strong economy.

37) Benefit, noun, an advantage or profit gained from something.
a. I collect benefit from donors.

38) Vary, verb, differ, be different, not the same.
a. I want to vary my life.

39) Theory, noun, idea, plan, not practical
a. I have a good theory for my project.

40) Available, noun, can be found
a. Du sim cards are available in supermarket.

41) Context, noun, setting, location, surrounding
a. In this context, you are correct.

42) Issue, noun, topic, workers, employment
a. This is the important issue.

43) Method, noun, Way of dealing with something.
a. This is the correct method.

44) Data, noun, facts, information, records.
a. I found my important data in the computer.

45) Establish, verb, start, decide, build, open.
a. He established a new company.

46) Environment, noun, the atmosphere or surrounding.
a. People polluted the environment.

47) Percent, noun, one part out of hundred.
a. I hope to get 99.5 percent in this homework.

48) Opportunity, noun, a chance to do something or an occasion when it is easy for you to do something.
a. I got a good opportunity.

49) Aspect, noun, one part of a situation, idea, plan etc that has many parts.
a. This aspect is very important for our life.

50) Energetic, adjective, having or needing a lot of energy or determination.
a. Energetic pills are not allowed for all sportsmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment